If you’re looking for a delicious and easy-to-make side dish, look no further than potato confit. This French dish is made by slowly cooking potatoes in duck fat until they are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. It is a perfect accompaniment to any meal, and it is sure to impress your guests.
Confit is a cooking method that has been around for centuries. It was originally used to preserve meat, but it is now also used to cook other foods, such as potatoes. The word “confit” comes from the French word “confire,” which means “to preserve.”
The main ingredients in potato confit are potatoes and duck fat. You can also add other herbs and spices, such as garlic, rosemary, and thyme.
To make potato confit, you will need a large pot, a lid, and a thermometer. You can also use a slow cooker.
To make potato confit, follow these steps:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse the potatoes and cut them into 1-inch cubes.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover them with duck fat.
- Add the garlic, rosemary, and thyme.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pot.
- Cook the potatoes for 2-3 hours, or until they are tender.
- Remove the potatoes from the pot and let them cool slightly.
- Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
- For a richer flavor, you can use goose fat instead of duck fat.
- If you don’t have duck fat, you can use olive oil or vegetable oil.
- Be sure to cook the potatoes until they are tender. If they are not cooked through, they will be hard.
- You can add other herbs and spices to the potato confit, such as bay leaves, sage, or peppercorns.
- Potato confit can be made ahead of time and reheated in the oven or in a toaster oven.
If your potato confit is not crispy, it may be because you did not cook it long enough. Be sure to cook the potatoes until they are golden brown and crispy.
If your potato confit is too greasy, you can drain the excess fat before serving.
Potato confit is a delicious and easy-to-make side dish that is perfect for any occasion. With a little time and effort, you can create a dish that will impress your guests.
Potato confit is a good source of carbohydrates and fiber. It is also a good source of vitamins and minerals, such as potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin B6.
There are many variations of potato confit. You can add different herbs and spices to the dish, or you can use different types of potatoes. You can also cook the potato confit in a slow cooker.
Potato confit can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze potato confit for up to 2 months.
To reheat potato confit, place it in a baking dish and bake it in a preheated oven at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes, or until it is heated through.