Hawaiian oxtail soup is a hearty and flavorful dish that is perfect for a cold winter day. The soup is made with oxtails, which are slow-cooked until they are tender and falling off the bone. The soup is also flavored with a variety of vegetables, including carrots, onions, celery, and potatoes. Finally, the soup is garnished with fresh herbs, such as parsley or cilantro.
Hawaiian oxtail soup is thought to have originated in the early 1900s. It is believed that the dish was created by Filipino immigrants who worked on Hawaiian sugar plantations. The immigrants brought with them their own culinary traditions, which included the use of oxtails. Over time, the dish became popular among all ethnic groups in Hawaii.
- 2 pounds oxtails
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the oxtails and cook until browned on all sides.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the beef broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours, or until the oxtails are tender and falling off the bone.
- Remove the oxtails from the pot and set aside.
- Strain the soup and return it to the pot.
- Add the oxtails back to the pot and heat through.
- Garnish with parsley and cilantro.
- For a richer flavor, brown the oxtails in the oven before adding them to the pot.
- If you don’t have time to slow-cook the soup, you can use a pressure cooker. Cook the soup on high pressure for 30 minutes, then let the pressure release naturally.
- Serve the soup with rice or bread.
Hawaiian oxtail soup is a good source of protein and iron. It is also a good source of vitamins A and C.
Preparation and cooking time
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 2 hours
Hawaiian oxtail soup is a delicious and nutritious dish that is perfect for a cold winter day. The soup is easy to make and can be customized to your own taste.